top of page

Authorized Employment Opportunities for F1 students

On-Campus Employment - Is not to exceed 20 hours a week while school is in session and 40 hours a week when school is not in session—in accordance with CFR § 214.2(f). You must also be enrolled full-time, be in good academic standing, and have valid I-20 status.  To apply for On-Campus employment please complete the application form


Off-Campus Employment - consists of CPT, OPT, and Economic Hardship., 


As an F-1 student, you can receive work authorization for training related to your studies: optional practical training (OPT) and curricular practical training (CPT). You must have been enrolled in a SEVP-certified school as an F-1 student for one full academic year to be eligible for either type of practical training.


Curricular Practical Training (CPT) - Is a work authorization for students holding F-1 visas. CPT is specialized, curriculum-based for credit training linked to the student’s field of study. Students may pursue CPT opportunities during their enrollment at the University and they are available to F-1 students (graduate and undergraduate). 

CPT will only be authorized for students who have a valid, verifiable internship offer related to his/her program. Students who have been authorized for one year or more of full-time CPT are no longer eligible for OPT.  Please read the Washington University of Science and Technology's CPT Policy and Procedure for a complete guide.




Optional Practical Training (OPT) - Is temporary employment that is directly related to an F-1 student’s major area of study. Under the prior rules, an F-1 student could be authorized to receive up to a total of 12 months of practical training either before (pre-) and/or after (post-) completion of studies and an additional 24 months for the STEM Programs. 


Economic Hardship - If unforeseen circumstances arise, you may be able to get permission to work part-time at an off-campus job if you have been enrolled full-time for one academic year.  Please contact for more information. 


Volunteering - it is a great way to get involved in life outside of your classroom, but remember:

  • You must first consult the International Student Office before doing volunteer work

  • You cannot receive any form of taxable income without permission to work

  • You cannot volunteer for a position that the organization would normally hire someone to fill


Learn more about volunteering at Study in the States.


Social Security Number (SSN): 


SSNs are generally assigned to people who are authorized to work in the United States. Social Security numbers are used to report your wages to the government and to determine eligibility for Social Security benefits. Social Security will not assign you a number just to enroll in a college or school.  You can read more at the Social Security Website or Study In The States


Before engaging in any type of employment you must first consult and receive permission from a DSO in the International Student Office. We also recommend students review the Study in the States - Working in the United States guide. 


Any unauthorized employment will be reported through SEVIS and your record will be terminated.

bottom of page